FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE October 3, 2019
Winnipeg, MB. – Two highly regarded First Nations educational organizations, The Manitoba First Nations Education Resource Centre (MFNERC) and Yellowquill College, have formally amalgamated. This merge will provide First Nations-led education from Early Learning through Post-Secondary.
In 2018, the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs passed a resolution for a Manitoba First Nations Post-Secondary Strategy. This resolution directed the development of an institute of higher learning through a partnership between MFNERC’s Training Institute and Yellowquill College.
The long-standing academic and scholarly capacity of both organizations will make a successful partnership, and this historic celebration solidified the merge.
“MFNERC has been here for 20 years, staffed with professional educators with degrees, experience, and knowledge. Who better than MFNERC to oversee Yellowquill College, as the longest-standing First Nations-run education center.”
Chief Francine Meeches, Swan Lake First Nation.
Educators will provide post-secondary degree programming that is rooted in First Nations worldviews, languages, cultures, teachings, and pedagogy. This amalgamation will give students better accessibility by opening more locations across Manitoba as comprehensive educational facilities. Existing and future partnerships with mainstream post-secondary institutions will be leveraged, further meeting the growing and diverse educational and training needs of First Nations.
- This merge is the first phase in the development of a First Nations governed Post-Secondary Institute.
- MFNERC Training Institute has demonstrated its capacity to provide successful training programs with high retention and graduation rates.
- MFNERC is celebrating its 20th year.
- MFNERC provides the province’s leading education, administration, technology, languages and culture services to First Nations schools in Manitoba.
- Yellowquill College has been in operation since 1984 under the leadership of the Dakota Ojibway Tribal Council.
- Yellowquill College has been in operation for 35 years.
- Yellowquill College has the authority to offer college accredited programs as well as post-secondary level programs.
For more information contact: David Robertson, Publishing and Communications Manager, MFNERC, email@example.com