Notice is hereby given that a By-election of one (1) Eastern Off-Reserve Trustee for the LPFN Trust will be held on Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at the Rufus Prince Building, located at Room 210/5000 Crescent Road West. Voting Polls will be open from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 pm and the ballot count will start at 8:15 p.m.
1994 LPFN Trust Article 1.1; Means all of that area in Canada east of a line marked on Appendix ‘A” hereto which line commences at the intersection of the International Boundary and Provincial Truck Highway (PTH) 31 proceeding northerly to PTH 3 and the westerly to Provincial Road (PR) 244 and then northerly to PTH 2 and then easterly to PR 305 and then northerly to the Yellowhead Route (PTH 16) and continuing along said PTH 16 to PTH 50 and then northerly to PR 278 and continuing along said PR 278 to PTH 68 and then easterly to PR 325 and following said PR 325 to PTH 6 and along said PTH 6 to Thompson, Manitoba, and then due north from the end of said PTH 6.
Please be aware that criminal record checks should be done as soon as possible and can be completed through the Portage la Prairie RCMP Detachment or the RCMP Detachment located in the Candidates Area, Monday to Saturday from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm. Please be advised two (2) pieces of Identification are needed to process the Criminal Records Check.
Completed Nominations Forms and attached completed Criminal Record Checks must be mailed or hand delivered to the Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) by May 16, 2018. If the Candidate chooses to hand deliver it can be done on May 16, 2018 at the LPFN Tribal Government Office Boardroom from 8:30am till 4:30 pm on that day. Candidates will be posted May 17, 2018.
Requirements for Candidacy:
In order for an eligible Tribal Member to be nominated as a candidate for Trustee, he/she must submit the Nomination Form, which shall contain the following;
- The signatures of no fewer than two (2) Eligible Tribal Members other than the candidate named therein supporting the candidate;
- Biographical information accurately describing the candidate’s background, proof of residence and details of any qualifications outlined in the LPFN Trustee Election Act;
- Acknowledgement in writing of the candidate’s acceptance of the nomination and undertaking, if elected, to discharge his/her duties in accordance with the obligations imposed by the law and Trust Agreement.
- Completed Criminal Records Check to be filled out in accordance with Article 12.6 of the Trust Agreement.
- The original nomination and forms must be hand delivered or mailed to the CEO at the LPFN Tribal Government Office Boardroom between the hours of 8:30am to 4:30 p.m., May 16, 2018.
- The Chief Electoral Officer shall reject nominations not meeting the requirements of Article 5.3 which state that the candidates should be People of good character, and must possess a working knowledge of English. Candidates born after January 1, 1965 must also have completed a minimum of a Grade 10 education or its equivalent.
Any questions concerning the By-Election for the On-Reserve Trustee should be directed to Kathryn Myran, Chief Electoral Officer,
Ph: 204– 252-3430 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org